Do you know which color is for you?
Deciding your natural level
What is your natural level? In hair color terms, we called it the ” N “shade. A good way to tell is by looking at your eye browse. They are usually very close to each other. It usually ranges from 2 ( black ) to 10 ( lightest blonde ). Most people falls into the 4 to 6 levels.
Next, you have to decide what level is your target color. If you are a 4 level and you wanted to go to 6 level target color, you need to mix your color with 20 vol peroxide ( 2 levels lift ). If you want to go to a 8 level target color, you need to mix 40 vol peroxide ( 4 level lift ). It doesn’t matter what your desire color is, whether it is red, brown or copper, you follow the same guidance.
How to apply the color.
This is the most important part that you have to pay attention to.
If you have virgin hair, meaning you never colored your hair before, apply the color mixture 1 inch away from the scalp then brush it through. You can either use a comb or use your hand to massage the color thoroughly . Wait 25 minutes than apply the rest of the color on the roots and wait for another 20 minutes. The reason is, color activate faster with heat. If you start the color from the scalp, your body heat will make the color on the roots work faster than the ends. Resulting in lighter color on the roots and darker on the ends.
If you have previously color your hair before and now you have new growth from the roots, we would reverse the steps. Apply the color mixture on the roots beginning from the nape are ( that area is the coolest part on your head ). Wait 20 minutes then apply the the color all over the rest of the hair and wait 25 minutes. The reason is, new grown hairs are more resistance and require longer time for the color to be lifted and deposited. Hair that had previously colored takes on the color faster, yet needed less time to deposit.
If you have gray hair and wanted to cover them perfectly, follow these steps.
- Make sure you match the N color exactly to your natural level. A lighter color will not give you 100% coverage.
- If you are mixing a fashion shade to you N color, make sure the proportion is 75% N to 25% the other target color.
- Make sure the mixture of color is nice and thick, not runny, meaning more color and less peroxide.
- After color has been applied, wrap the hair with a plastic cap or food wrap. Make sure the hair line ( the most resistance area ) is covered by the plastic and stick to the head. Leave the color on for 45 minutes for maximum result.
- Most people just let the hair expose to the air. Doing so will leave the hair at the roots not sticking to the hair color to get perfect coverage. On top, remember color activate better with heat. The plastic on the scalp is going to trap the heat within the hair for better result.
The final thought
If you have been coloring your own hair for and did not get the perfect result. Try these professional hack hair coloring . If you want your hair color to last longer or shines up more, try to a Keratin Treatment a week after hair coloring. Leave a comment or email if you have more questions.